Sunday, January 10, 2010

Gorgonzola, Spinach, and Fig Pizza



I found this recipe on the Vegetarian Times website, which is a great place to go if you’re looking for something new. The ingredients were relatively cheap and I used a couple substitutions. I got the pre-made whole wheat pizza dough for around a dollar and I already had slivered almonds so I used those instead of pine nuts. Also, I skipped the olives because Mark doesn’t like them.

The whole process of getting it ready to go into the oven took about 20 minutes, which is great because then I have the 25 minutes to do something productive (or at least pretend to) while it bakes. Mine needed to bake for longer than 25 minutes, I’d say around 30-33. I was surprisingly impressed with the results. I would have cut the fig pieces smaller, though. The recipe calls for you to quarter them, and I would cut the pieces smaller and use them more sparingly. If you were so inclined, you could even leave them out if your grocery store doesn’t carry them or if they’re too expensive.

Something that I look for with a lot of recipes is how I’ll use the leftover ingredients. I don’t like to buy one ingredient just to use two tablespoons and be done with it. There is no room for waste in my budget. For instance, with this dinner I have a ton of leftover spinach that I’ll use to make pesto, which freezes really well. Or you could use it to make salads. In any event, one of the best things you can do for your budget is to shop smart with what you use. 


No comments:

Post a Comment