Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mail Lesson

Today was one of my long days at school and I was particularly tired when I got home. It might have something to do with the fact that I am staying up past midnight and then averaging less than six hours of sleep, but I’m working on that. Upon entering my home, I saw the mail and hoped for something good. Getting the mail was one of my favorite things to do when I was younger. I always hoped that there was something for me, something good. Now that I’m an adult I have realized that mail pretty much sucks. Gone are the puzzle magazines, books, and cards that I anticipated as a child. Delivered to me now are bills, only bills, with an occasional solicitation letter thrown in for fun.

Grabbing an envelope with my name on it, I ripped it open and pulled out the letter. What I should have checked for was the return address. It seems that my insurance didn’t cover ALL of my allergist appointment and testing, so now I owe them $80. I’m completely aware that I shouldn’t bitch about $80. For being young, I have one of the best health insurance plans a person can have and am able to have my pick of the litter when it comes to doctors.

Sadly, I can’t help but feel frustrated at the thought of more money being wasted. I’m mad at myself for agreeing to an allergy test without making sure that my insurance company would cover almost all of the procedure. And I feel guilty for being so upset about $80. The damages could have been a lot worse. It’s just that I haven’t bought non-necessities in weeks, maybe even months. No takeout, no restaurants or bars, and no coffee shops. Trivial as it may sound, $80 is a lot of money to someone who barely has any to begin with.

Is there a lesson to be learned from this? Of course. Don’t expect good things to come in the mail when you’re an adult. It just doesn’t happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment