Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Someone Prick Me So My Anxiety Can Escape

Don’t worry, I’m not going to start talking about all that is crappy with my life again. But today was my first day of classes and oh boy, has my anxiety kicked in. I suppose I’ve always had anxiety about school but I didn’t realize what it was until I was in college. More specifically, until I started going to a prestigious university where the standards are higher and professors assume you have unlimited time to work on their class alone.

I’m pursuing a minor in anthropology which basically means that other than a select few requirements, I get to choose most of my courses. Due to a computer glitch last year, I was slated to register last for fall term and got stuck in a graduate level archaeology class. I survived and decided to take another one this semester because it’s being taught by the same professor. I did enjoy the course from last semester even though it involved copious amounts of reading and at times I thought I would collapse in a big heap on the floor due to repeated thinking I wasn’t smart enough to be in the class. And knowing all this, I STILL signed up for another round. I know, I know. Way to make smart decisions!

Our first class was tonight and I walked out with chest pains, even though all we did was go over the syllabus. I don’t know what I was thinking. I’m aware that I’m just feeling overwhelmed, like on top of everything else I deal with, now I have to participate in a graduate level course that isn’t even related to my major. I haven’t broken down yet, but give a girl time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment